Momma's Going Back to the Office

In just a few weeks, working from home is coming to an end...kind of. I am super happy to say that during the summer, my company has offered a hybrid schedule as we transition back to the office. We will be in the office 3 days and have 2 flexible days where we can work from wherever we need to. It will be the best of both worlds, being able to enjoy the office with my co-workers, but also having the ability to be in a quiet space at home to be productive. I am looking forward to being back in the office and seeing my co-workers and friends, but there are a few things I am going to miss about working from home every day.

One of the biggest benefits was all the cost savings over the past year. Obviously, getting rid of my 35 to 45 minute commute twice a day allowed me to save quite a bit on gas, not to mention oil changes and just the wear and tear on my vehicle. Then we have the money I'm saving from going out to lunch. It's much easier to make the decision to eat at home with all the available options. It wasn't something I was doing every day, but with staying at home, there really isn't any reason for me to get out and buy lunch. The biggest cost savings was before and after care for Payton. I actually tried to enroll her, but there wasn't any availability so I had to make it work and we did. Taylor still went to daycare everyday, but I was able to work around elementary school hours and save money. It all added up and I was able to keep more money in my pocket.

Thankfully, Walz Tetrick has always been flexible and provided a great work life balance. Working from home brought that to another level. Aaron's work hours are long, so I handle most everything myself. Getting the kids to and from school, taking them to gymnastics, dinner, baths, bedtime is pretty much all me. With my world revolving around the girls, there wasn't much time for myself.  There is no question, the flexibility and balance is what made working from home perfect for a working mom. I can wake up and get in a quick 30 minute workout, I can jump on my laptop and take care of some emails before the girls wake up. I don't feel rushed in the mornings getting everyone ready and out the door by a certain time. Did I forget anything, taking something out for dinner, items the girls need for school? If I did, I'm home and I have the flexibility to take care of those things. During lunch, I can go on a quick run and then work while I eat lunch. There is no stress or anxiety running out of the office to pick up the girls and start dinner and get all the evening activities complete. I have so much more time in the day without the commute and getting everything ready for a long work day. I was able to make time for myself and more time with my kids and getting my mom duties taken care of. 

Can we talk about dress code!?! How much do I love wearing leggings and pajama pants all day? I have my cozy socks and then a zoom shirt close by just in case. How in the world am I going to get through a whole day in business casual? 

This past year was one for the history books. I will admit that my family was one of the lucky ones. We didn't lose anyone to the pandemic, we didn't lose our jobs and we made it through a really tough year the best way we could. I am grateful I was able to be with Payton every day before and after school to send her off and wish her good luck and then walk her home with her friends and hear about her day. I am grateful that Taylor was able to enjoy daycare and experience each day as a normal day. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to have more time to focus on myself. It was a year in which I learned a lot and definitely won't forget, but I'm looking forward to getting back to normal and being with coworkers and friends. Wish me luck!




Comments