Kindergarten Success!

Today was a big day at the Cottrell house. Payton had her first adventure into this big, exciting, scary world. I have all the emotions, but I am wondering about all of her emotions. Of course I'm excited for her to experience school, but also a little or maybe a lot nervous. It will be a lot of big changes for my little girl. How is she going to handle it all? 

 

I didn't have any doubts that Payton was excited and ready for some new scenery. The last couple of weeks, she was fighting me on going to Outreach or "preschool" as she called it. We had been shopping for all the school supplies and new clothes and shoes. I had her pick out some of her favorite snacks and ideas for lunch. We decided on her first day outfit. The girl was READY for this first day.

This weekend we had a chat about understanding expectations and rules. Payton knows that she is going to be a big girl with some new responsibilities that will start with Kindergarten. Taking care of her iPad, packing and unpacking her backpack, setting out her clothes each night and picking out her daily snack for school are just a few of the new chores that she is going to have to adjust to. It will definitely be a transition, but I really want Payton to start taking care of her own things and finding out the consequences at a younger age if she can't be responsible. Being more responsible will allow my girl to be more independent and confident about making the right decisions.

I think I am most excited about the social aspect of school and building those long lasting relationships. I am hopeful Payton will be a leader and that she will make good decisions and surround herself with kind friends. I feel like she knows to love everyone and not judge someone until she gets to know them. Payton can be sassy and a bit of a princess sometimes, but I know she is caring and I hope that she never feels excluded or excludes anyone from being friends.

Payton came home so excited about her day. She had so many things to tell me and from this 6 minute video you can tell that today was a big success. My hope is that Payton continues to feel this happy and confident going to school each day. I will encourage her and support her with anything she wants to do. I am very much looking forward to seeing how the rest of Kindergarten goes!


Comments